Search This Blog

3/25/2011

Sustainable Table Settings


     A few weeks ago while helping a friend set her table, I opened her closet to find shelves piled high with hundreds of cloth napkins left to her when her mother passed away.  It motivated me to increase my own supply to avoid running out and having to grab the paper.  I realized that the possibility of filling my napkin draw to overflowing was a simple one, since a neighbor had given me a box of extra fabrics a few years ago.  I chose some large pieces of fabric that coordinated with my place mats and began to sew. 
     Creating cloth napkins from fabric in three simple steps:
Cut 18” squares of fabric.
Iron 1/8” along rough edge of fabric and iron flat.
Immediately fold the already folded fabric over 1/4” and iron flat.
Continue until all four edges are ironed.
Sew a running stitch along all ironed edges with machine or by hand.
     Now, a few weeks after my visit, closing my napkin draw is like squeezing an overly indulgent eater into a corset, but I'll never have to worry about resorting to paper napkins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment