Search This Blog

3/03/2011

Minnewaska on my Mind


     
    While crunching on a spoonful of blueberry granola, I close my eyes, and imagine hiking the Blueberry Run trail in Minnewaska State Park on a warm July morning. The high bush blueberries call to me as I walk past, begging me to try a few, which I unfailingly do.  Dried blueberries contain the same intoxicating summer flavor, even when the thermometer registers 12 degrees—March is “coming in like a lion”.  
 
     Making my own granola allows me to avoid preservatives, create the mix I prefer, incorporate my dehydrated summer fruit, and save money.  Since I buy most of the basic ingredients in bulk, I am able to purchase organic at prices comparable to conventionally grown food.  Dehydrating fruit at home also allows me to avoid unnecessary preservatives and high  prices.  I use the same basic recipe each time, but as my family will tell you, it never tastes the same twice; like all permutations, the variations seem endless. See recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment