Search This Blog

2/28/2011

Save the Bogs, For Peat's Sake

coco brick  (thefind.com)
     Over the last twenty years I’ve worked gradually to create gardens that are native, organic, and sustainable.  The Union of Concerned Scientists recently published five tips to creating a climate friendly garden. The first tip is: “Choose low-emission garden products and practices: Gasoline-powered garden tools are major emitters of carbon dioxide (CO2), the primary global warming gas. But emissions can also come from unexpected sources such as fossil fuel-based fertilizers and pesticides and peat-based potting mixes. Use electric or push mowers, rakes, and other low- or no-emission tools, compost, and natural pest-control methods.”
Peat bog being harvested.    (wsgs.uwyo.edu)
     Over the years I've eliminated pesticides and chemical fertilizers from my garden.  I have invested in some quality hand tools that make gardening easier, and used compost extensively. The one thing I continued to use, although sparingly, was peat to start my seedlings. When I bought a bag a few years ago because I didn't know what else to use, I promised myself it would be my last.  So this year I researched replacement material.  I discovered a product, coco peat (made from coconut husk fiber or coir), that resembles peat’s qualities,  yet is renewable (no peat bogs are depleted).  I ordered some coco peat seed starting pellets, and bricks that will expand to use in a seed blocker.    
coco pellets   (thctalk.com)
     I’ll let you know how they work in a few months.  In the meantime, one “tip” down…four to go. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Some online sources for coco peat products are:  
If you discover a local source to purchase coco peat, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment