Search This Blog

2/19/2011

Back Saving, "No Dig" Gardening

     As the snow melts, exposing the first glimpses of ground level greenery in months, I begin planning the perennials I will transplant into my new garden areas.  These new sections have been magically preparing themselves for my spring planting while I do nothing.  In the fall, I started a number of "extensions" to my established beds by preforming a very simple version of the “no dig” technique that is sustainable for the environment—and my back.  By thickly layering newspaper over the area, then covering it with 4” of mulch, I am able to kill sod or weeds naturally and effortlessly (without chemicals or digging). 
      When it’s time for me to plant in the spring, I'll make a large hole where the plant will go; mix compost and organic fertilizers into the removed soil; place the plant into the hole; cover it with the amended soil; and finally, add a layer of mulch.  The only somewhat strenuous digging that is required is a perimeter trench to re-edge the garden.  (Waiting until the grass or weeds beneath the paper have died back make this digging relatively easy.)  
     If you were not able to start this process in the fall, it’s not too late.  The area can be prepared this spring, and perennials planted in the fall.  It will then be well established by next spring.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     If you are interested in the "no dig" approach for vegetable gardening, this video demonstrates a step-by-step technique.
   






No comments:

Post a Comment