Search This Blog

4/06/2011

Fruit Possibilities




     When people hear that I dry fruit, they often assume that I merely eat the dried fruit as a snack and perhaps add it to my granola.  If you've ever wondered what else can be done with dehydrated fruit, the possibilities are endless! Some dishes that benefit from the inclusion of dried fruit are: pancakes, oatmeal, nut mixes, cookies, cakes, pies, soups, baked squash, and pot pies.  Sometimes I add the dried fruit as it is, other times I rehydrate it first to bring it closer to its original consistency before baking.  Because dried fruit is readily available in my cabinets, it’s easy to achieve the daily 2-4 servings of fruit suggested on the food pyramid.
     Soon fresh fruit will be in season locally; stores will be selling more fruit grown in this country—rather than shipping it across the world.  So if you're considering drying your own fruit, it’s a perfect time to purchase your dehydrator.  If you are new to dehydrating, here are some good reference books:  
  • How To Dry Foods by Deanna DeLong 1992
  • Making and Using Dried Foods by Phyllis Hobson 1994 
  • Complete Dehydrator Cookbook by Mary Bell 1994
  • The Beginner’s Guide to Preserving Food at Home By Janet Chadwick’s 2009  
     To whet your appetite, I’m including one of my oatmeal cookie recipes so you can explore other uses for dried fruit.  Experiment with different fruit combinations, and enjoy.

            (Click on the "dehydrating" labels link below to see dehydrating techniques for specific fruits.)

2 comments:

  1. I would like to buy one of the machines - where do i start?

    THanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased my dehydrator from:
    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

    ReplyDelete